The number of people with unspent convictions
We regularly get asked how many people have unspent convictions.
Since the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act was amended in March 2014, the number of people whose conviction is unspent is expected to have reduced significantly, but nobody really knows by how much.
So, as a first attempt, we’ve pulled together some data which tries to do this, and the key findings are below.
- Before the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 reforms, which came into force on the 10th March 2014, there were approximately 2,514,987 individuals with unspent convictions in England & Wales.
- Following the reforms to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, which came into force on the 10th March 2014, there were approximately 735,652 individuals with unspent convictions in England & Wales.
- 7,232 individuals receive a conviction each year that can never become spent.
- 2.03% of people that apply for a basic disclosure in England & Wales have unspent convictions disclosed.
- 6.94% of people that apply for a basic disclosure in Scotland have unspent convictions.
- 89% of the basic disclosures that Disclosure Scotland carry out are for people in England & Wales.
Got a different way of working this out?
We are interested in hearing about the efforts of others to better define the number of people with unspent convictions. Please send your thoughts to email@example.com or comment on this post below.
- Unlock raises concerns as Charity Commission grants just six criminal conviction waivers Posted on: Feb 20th, 2020
The Charity Commission has refused more than half of the applications…
- Unlock speaks to Radio 4’s Woman's Hour about the launch of it's #Fairchecks campaign Posted on: Feb 11th, 2020
Together with the charity Transform Justice, Unlock has launched the…
- Help us plan our future work Posted on: Jan 31st, 2020
As a small charity rooted in the experiences of people with a…
- Monthly update - January 2020 Posted on: Jan 30th, 2020
We've just published our update for January…
- Rights groups condemn government's failure to fix broken DBS system Posted on: Jan 30th, 2020
Supreme Court ruled one year ago that disclosure and barring service…