The number of people with unspent convictions
We regularly get asked how many people have unspent convictions.
Since the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act was amended in March 2014, the number of people whose conviction is unspent is expected to have reduced significantly, but nobody really knows by how much.
So, as a first attempt, we’ve pulled together some data which tries to do this, and the key findings are below.
- Before the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 reforms, which came into force on the 10th March 2014, there were approximately 2,514,987 individuals with unspent convictions in England & Wales.
- Following the reforms to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, which came into force on the 10th March 2014, there were approximately 735,652 individuals with unspent convictions in England & Wales.
- 7,232 individuals receive a conviction each year that can never become spent.
- 2.03% of people that apply for a basic disclosure in England & Wales have unspent convictions disclosed.
- 6.94% of people that apply for a basic disclosure in Scotland have unspent convictions.
- 89% of the basic disclosures that Disclosure Scotland carry out are for people in England & Wales.
Got a different way of working this out?
We are interested in hearing about the efforts of others to better define the number of people with unspent convictions. Please send your thoughts to firstname.lastname@example.org or comment on this post below.
Authors of posts
- Tickets for our 'Criminal record disclosure' workshop in June have sold out - Book now for our workshop on 4th October Posted on: Jun 1st, 2017
Our popular 'criminal record disclosure' training workshops…
- Monthly update - May 2017 Posted on: May 31st, 2017
We've just published our update for May…
- Rehabilitation in the internet age - The Google-effect and the disclosure of criminal records Posted on: May 31st, 2017
The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 provides people with…
- Please help us unlock funding so that we can help more people Posted on: May 17th, 2017
In the last year, our Information Hub website was used over 1.3…
- Volunteer's Week is almost here Posted on: May 16th, 2017
It's Volunteer's Week from the 1st to 7th June and, like many…