The number of people with unspent convictions
We regularly get asked how many people have unspent convictions.
Since the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act was amended in March 2014, the number of people whose conviction is unspent is expected to have reduced significantly, but nobody really knows by how much.
So, as a first attempt, we’ve pulled together some data which tries to do this, and the key findings are below.
- Before the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 reforms, which came into force on the 10th March 2014, there were approximately 2,514,987 individuals with unspent convictions in England & Wales.
- Following the reforms to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, which came into force on the 10th March 2014, there were approximately 735,652 individuals with unspent convictions in England & Wales.
- 7,232 individuals receive a conviction each year that can never become spent.
- 2.03% of people that apply for a basic disclosure in England & Wales have unspent convictions disclosed.
- 6.94% of people that apply for a basic disclosure in Scotland have unspent convictions.
- 89% of the basic disclosures that Disclosure Scotland carry out are for people in England & Wales.
Got a different way of working this out?
We are interested in hearing about the efforts of others to better define the number of people with unspent convictions. Please send your thoughts to firstname.lastname@example.org or comment on this post below.
Authors of posts
- Next 'criminal record disclosure' training - 21st June 2017 Posted on: Apr 13th, 2017
Our popular 'criminal record disclosure' training workshops continue…
- Spring 2017 Newsletter - What we've been up to Posted on: Apr 13th, 2017
Today we've published our spring 2017 newsletter. The newsletter…
- Some examples of people we've helped Posted on: Apr 12th, 2017
Looking back over the last couple of months, we’ve written up a few…
- Monthly update - March 2017 Posted on: Mar 30th, 2017
We've just published our update for March…
- Your finances in and out of prison - BBC Radio 4 Money Box live Posted on: Mar 16th, 2017
Around 50% of offenders re-offend within a year. Lack of money for…