The number of people with unspent convictions
We regularly get asked how many people have unspent convictions.
Since the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act was amended in March 2014, the number of people whose conviction is unspent is expected to have reduced significantly, but nobody really knows by how much.
So, as a first attempt, we’ve pulled together some data which tries to do this, and the key findings are below.
- Before the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 reforms, which came into force on the 10th March 2014, there were approximately 2,514,987 individuals with unspent convictions in England & Wales.
- Following the reforms to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, which came into force on the 10th March 2014, there were approximately 735,652 individuals with unspent convictions in England & Wales.
- 7,232 individuals receive a conviction each year that can never become spent.
- 2.03% of people that apply for a basic disclosure in England & Wales have unspent convictions disclosed.
- 6.94% of people that apply for a basic disclosure in Scotland have unspent convictions.
- 89% of the basic disclosures that Disclosure Scotland carry out are for people in England & Wales.
Got a different way of working this out?
We are interested in hearing about the efforts of others to better define the number of people with unspent convictions. Please send your thoughts to email@example.com or comment on this post below.
- Book now for our criminal record disclosure training on 24th April 2019 Posted on: Mar 5th, 2019
Our popular 'criminal record disclosure' training workshops continue…
- Monthly update - February 2019 Posted on: Feb 28th, 2019
We've just published our update for February…
- A new video about our work Posted on: Feb 20th, 2019
We're really pleased to be able to share a new short video that…
- New proposals for all taxi drivers to undergo an enhanced DBS check Posted on: Feb 20th, 2019
Christopher Stacey speaks to Radio 5 Live about the proposed new…
- Request for participants (now closed) - Understanding the influence of an early life criminal record on adult life courses Posted on: Feb 19th, 2019
Update - The request for participants is now closed. See the message…