The number of people with unspent convictions
We regularly get asked how many people have unspent convictions.
Since the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act was amended in March 2014, the number of people whose conviction is unspent is expected to have reduced significantly, but nobody really knows by how much.
So, as a first attempt, we’ve pulled together some data which tries to do this, and the key findings are below.
- Before the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 reforms, which came into force on the 10th March 2014, there were approximately 2,514,987 individuals with unspent convictions in England & Wales.
- Following the reforms to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, which came into force on the 10th March 2014, there were approximately 735,652 individuals with unspent convictions in England & Wales.
- 7,232 individuals receive a conviction each year that can never become spent.
- 2.03% of people that apply for a basic disclosure in England & Wales have unspent convictions disclosed.
- 6.94% of people that apply for a basic disclosure in Scotland have unspent convictions.
- 89% of the basic disclosures that Disclosure Scotland carry out are for people in England & Wales.
Got a different way of working this out?
We are interested in hearing about the efforts of others to better define the number of people with unspent convictions. Please send your thoughts to email@example.com or comment on this post below.
- Unlock submission on proposals to amend disclosure rules in Scotland Posted on: Apr 22nd, 2018
Unlock has made a submission to the Scottish Government in response…
- Job vacancy at Unlock - Policy & practice lead Posted on: Apr 19th, 2018
About the role This is an exciting opportunity for an exceptional…
- Unlock comment: High Court judgment on 'Right to be Forgotten' and spent convictions case Posted on: Apr 13th, 2018
Commenting on the High Court ruling on the Right to be Forgotten and…
- Spring 2018 newsletter - What we've been up to Posted on: Apr 5th, 2018
Today we've published our spring 18 newsletter. The newsletter…
- Some examples of people we've helped Posted on: Apr 5th, 2018
Looking back over the last couple of months, we’ve written up a few…