The number of people with unspent convictions
We regularly get asked how many people have unspent convictions.
Since the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act was amended in March 2014, the number of people whose conviction is unspent is expected to have reduced significantly, but nobody really knows by how much.
So, as a first attempt, we’ve pulled together some data which tries to do this, and the key findings are below.
- Before the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 reforms, which came into force on the 10th March 2014, there were approximately 2,514,987 individuals with unspent convictions in England & Wales.
- Following the reforms to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, which came into force on the 10th March 2014, there were approximately 735,652 individuals with unspent convictions in England & Wales.
- 7,232 individuals receive a conviction each year that can never become spent.
- 2.03% of people that apply for a basic disclosure in England & Wales have unspent convictions disclosed.
- 6.94% of people that apply for a basic disclosure in Scotland have unspent convictions.
- 89% of the basic disclosures that Disclosure Scotland carry out are for people in England & Wales.
Got a different way of working this out?
We are interested in hearing about the efforts of others to better define the number of people with unspent convictions. Please send your thoughts to firstname.lastname@example.org or comment on this post below.
- Call for evidence: DBS checks which reveal trans/gender history because of gender-specific offences committed in the past Posted on: Sep 14th, 2018
The current criminal record disclosure rules are unnecessarily harsh…
- New criminal records guide and resources for recruitment agencies Posted on: Sep 14th, 2018
Commenting on the launch today by the Recruitment & Employment…
- Unlock launches pilot project, supported by the UPP Foundation, to help universities take on students with criminal records Posted on: Sep 13th, 2018
Unlock, an independent charity for people with convictions, has…
- Unlock speaks on Three Counties Radio regarding magistrates with criminal records Posted on: Sep 6th, 2018
Unlock's Christopher Stacey speaks to BBC Three Counties radio…
- Our submission to the government's call for evidence on the employment of people with convictions Posted on: Aug 31st, 2018
Today we have submitted our written response to the government's call…