This is our landing page for all things related to changes to charity rules that came into force in 2018 that affect people with criminal records and what roles they can be involved in. These have come about because of the implementation of section 9 of the Charities (Protection and Social Investment) Act 2016.
On this page you will find the latest news, useful resources and the timescales for the changes.
- Our guidance for charities – Leading charities with conviction
- Our guidance for individuals – Leading charities with conviction
- Organise a workshop to help raise awareness amongst charities, trustees and senior managers
- Details of the policy work we’ve been doing on the changes to the rules
- “Do the charity disqualification rules affect me?” – Online tool
- “Can I work in a charity with my criminal record” – Flowchart on the automatic disqualification rules
Timescales for the changes
- January 2018 – Charity Commission publishes guidance on disqualification rules
- 1st February 2018 – ‘Advance waiver’ opens. Any individual that applies for a waiver before 1st August 2018 is protected from impact of changes on 1st August until a decision has been made on their application (including any appeal). Unlock publishes guidance for charities and individuals.
- February to July 2018 – Charities should follow the steps in our guidance for charities. Individuals should apply for a waiver if they will be disqualified by 1st August 2018.
- 1st August 2018 – New rules in force. Rules apply to all existing and new trustees and senior manager positions. Our updated guidance for charities and individuals published
- Insurance industry trade body issues updated guidance to insurers on how they should treat people with convictions Posted on: Aug 6th, 2019
Last week, the Association of British Insurers (ABI) published…
- Monthly update - July 2019 Posted on: Jul 29th, 2019
We've just published our update for July 2019. This months…
- Unlock comment: Ministry of Justice plans on criminal record reform Posted on: Jul 15th, 2019
Commenting on today’s announcement (15 July) by the Ministry of…
- New report highlights ‘double discrimination’ faced by black, Asian and minority ethnic people with a criminal record Posted on: Jul 15th, 2019
Unlock, the country's leading charity for people with convictions,…
- 'Double discrimination?' report published Posted on: Jul 15th, 2019
Today we've published research on the impact of criminal records as…