Here we set out the key issues we’re focusing on as part of our policy and campaign work.
Separately, we’ve set out our priorities for government.
Ban the Box – Unlock co-founded the campaign in 2013, calling on employers to remove questions about criminal records from application forms. This might mean asking later on, or realising that asking isn’t necessary at all. Ban the Box links with our fair access to employment project. We also have a section about this on our website for employers.
Other areas of interest
We get involved in other areas of policy where there is a link to our work. Although we don’t have dedicated policy pages for these, we tag any news or posts and these are brought together with the links below.
- Childhood criminal records – This includes work with the Standing Committee for Youth Justice on reforming law on the disclosure of youth criminal records.
- Youth criminal records – This includes our work with the Justice Committee and our Unlocking Experience project.
- Prison reform – This includes reforms to prison policies, particularly around resettlement and employment.
- Prison education – This includes our work with government and other charities
- Transforming Rehabilitation – This relates to the split of probation into the National Probation Service (NPS) and Community Rehabilitation Companies (CRC’s).
- #Wipetheslateclean – This campaign was launched by Bob Ashford and is supported by Unlock.
Ear to the ground, voice at the top
We know that the issues people face as a result of their criminal record can vary over time and we are always keen to hear about your experiences. As a result we know there is a long list of policy issues.
- Report backs tax breaks to employers that recruit people with convictions Posted on: Jun 25th, 2019
- Bloomsbury Institute breaks new ground with ban the box for staff and students Posted on: May 13th, 2019
- Appointing a trustee with a criminal record: reflections of a successful applicant and charity Posted on: May 13th, 2019
- Westminster Hall debate on the disclosure of youth criminal records Posted on: Apr 4th, 2019
- Request for participants (now closed) - Understanding the influence of an early life criminal record on adult life courses Posted on: Feb 19th, 2019