A key approach to our work is ‘ear to the ground, voice at the top’.
Through our support, we make sure that we listen and learn about the difficulties that people with convictions are facing as a result of their criminal record when they are trying to move on with their lives.
In response to these problems, we identify recurring, systemic and structural issues that could be resolved through changes in policy.
Through our policy and campaign work, our aim is to achieve changes in policies and practices so that we have a fairer and more inclusive society towards people with criminal record.
What we do
Our policy and campaign work comes in various forms. It includes:
- Running targeted programmes of work. Currently, we’re running a programme of work focusing on fair access to employment.
- Focusing on key priority issues
- Undertaking research
- Collecting evidence on a range of issues
- Responding to consultations and making submissions
- Getting involved in strategic litigation on key issues
- Improving the policies and practices of other organisations
- Influencing attitudes – e.g. through work in the media
- Speaking truth to power
We also challenge bad practice on a case-by-case basis through our case work.
Working in partnership
A key part of our policy and campaign work is to work with other organisations, both in partnership, membership and as part of alliances. Some of these are listed below. We are:
- members of the Employers’ Forum for Reducing Reoffending
- on the stakeholder group of the ‘Ban the Box’ campaign
- a founding member of the ‘Wipe the Slate Clean’ campaign
- an active member of the Criminal Justice Alliance
- regularly engaged with the Information Commissioner’s Office
- a member of the Standing Committee for Youth Justice
- a member of the National Association for Youth Justice
Our track record
We have a powerful track record of listening to individuals, identifying problems and influencing policy, and by ensuring the voices of people with convictions are heard by people that can make a strategic impact on their lives.
You can read about some the things we’ve achieved through our policy and campaign work.
- Blog - Join the #FairChecks movement to help get a fresh start for the criminal records system Posted on: Jan 16th, 2020
In the 1960s, when Richard was 16, he was found in possession of a…
- Launch of #FairChecks - A fresh start for the criminal records system Posted on: Jan 14th, 2020
Together with the charity Transform Justice, Unlock has launched the…
- Winter 2019/20 Newsletter - What we've been up to Posted on: Jan 6th, 2020
Today we've published our winter 2019/20 newsletter. The newsletter…
- Some examples of people we've helped Posted on: Jan 6th, 2020
Looking back over the last couple of months, we’ve written up a few…
- Monthly update - December 2019 Posted on: Dec 19th, 2019
We've just published our update for December 2019. This…