About the role
This is an exciting opportunity for an exceptional individual with proven experience and potential to take on a senior role in a small team and lead our work in increasing the employment of people with criminal records by supporting and challenging employers to change their recruitment policies and practices, working to prevent unlawful criminal record checks, influencing government policy and working on other policy and practice issues (such as access to higher education).
We are an independent, highly respected social inclusion charity based in Maidstone, Kent. Established in 2000, we provide a voice and support for people with convictions who are facing stigma and obstacles because of their criminal record, often long after they have served their sentence. Unlock has six staff (seven including you), with 2-3 volunteers each day supporting our highly-regarded helpline.
- An ambitious person that has a passion for making a positive difference and challenging inequality
- Love working in a small team but are self-motivated enough to excel without supervision
- Are energetic and innovative in your approach
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Have a track record of influencing policy and practice
- Have a commitment to Unlock’s aims, values and approach
- Are able to research, write and publish information aimed at a wide range of people
- Thrive on overcoming difficult situations, identifying emerging trends and bringing together evidence to support broader work, while respecting data protection and confidentiality
- A past criminal record is not a requirement for this role but nor is it a bar
Salary & hours
£27,000 per annum. Full time, permanent.
Location is flexible. The role can be based in our Maidstone office, or the role can be home-based (with bi-monthly meetings in Maidstone).
Download the recruitment pack for a copy of the job description and person specification.
To apply, send a completed application form along with a CV and concise covering letter (telling us about what you do currently and why you think you are suitable for this role):
- By email to – firstname.lastname@example.org (with the subject line ‘Policy & practice lead’), or
- By post to – Policy & practice lead, Unlock, MCSC, 39-48 Marsham Street, Maidstone, Kent, ME14 1HH
Closing date for applications: 10am, Monday 14th May 2018
Interviews: To be held on Thursday 24th May in Maidstone
- If you would like an informal discussion about the role before you apply, you can contact Christopher Stacey, co-director, at email@example.com to arrange.
- If you have any questions about the application form or application process, please call 01622 230705 or email firstname.lastname@example.org