We are delighted to report that Unlock has been awarded a three-year grant from the Esmée Fairbairn Foundation that will enable us to deliver a programme of work that will challenge the discrimination faced by people with convictions in getting employment. This marks the beginning of a significant area of work for Unlock, enabling us
- Published in Ban the box, Employment discrimination, Illegal recruitment, News for employers, Press releases and comment
Tomorrow, the 10th March 2015, a new criminal offence of ‘enforced subject access’ comes into force, which employers and organisations need to be aware of. This news has implications on the recruitment processes of employers and organisations. In particular, it has an impact on those that ask individuals to obtain a copy of their police
Christopher Stacey, Co-Director, Unlock comments on the issues discussed in a recent Ban the Box webinar. Quite rightly, the Ban the Box campaign is focused on a specific issue, that being the tick-box that appears on many job application forms, frightening the life out of somebody who has a criminal record. Many people with convictions see
- Published in Ban the box, Employer good practice, Employment, Latest, News for employers, Unlock in the media, Unlock's blog, Way ROA works
Today we delivered a webinar in partnership with Business in the Community, titled ‘Ban the Ban – the legal stuff’ where we briefly covered the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. Read more about the webinar and download a copy of the slides.
‘How to employ with conviction’ – An Unlock Webcast for EFFRR (the Employers Forum for Reducing Reoffending)
Today we delivered a training session to the Employers Forum for Reducing Reoffending (EFFRR), covering a range of common questions that employers have when they are looking to recruit people with convictions. Download a factsheet that was produced after the session. Find out more information about our support for employers here.
We discuss on BBC Radio Essex about the problems that CRB checks cause people with convictions, and how the system should be improved. You can listen to the piece below.
- Published in Employer bad practice, Employment, Unlock in the media, Way ROA works, What DBS disclose
We’re featured in a BBC article that has investigated the use of CRB checks by local councils. Read the article here.
- Insurance industry trade body issues updated guidance to insurers on how they should treat people with convictions Posted on: Aug 6th, 2019
Last week, the Association of British Insurers (ABI) published…
- Monthly update - July 2019 Posted on: Jul 29th, 2019
We've just published our update for July 2019. This months…
- Unlock comment: Ministry of Justice plans on criminal record reform Posted on: Jul 15th, 2019
Commenting on today’s announcement (15 July) by the Ministry of…
- New report highlights ‘double discrimination’ faced by black, Asian and minority ethnic people with a criminal record Posted on: Jul 15th, 2019
Unlock, the country's leading charity for people with convictions,…
- 'Double discrimination?' report published Posted on: Jul 15th, 2019
Today we've published research on the impact of criminal records as…