Case study – Helping an insurance broker update their guidance for people with convictions
We were recently contacted by an individual who had been seeking an online quote for home contents insurance from an insurance broker.
The broker’s online application form asked applicants to disclose all unspent convictions and provided a link to a table setting out the relevant rehabilitation periods for various sentences and disposals.
However, despite the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (ROA) having been amended in March 2014, the individual who contacted us was concerned that the rehabilitation periods listed on the site were based on old legislation prior to the changes that had been implemented in March 2014.
We contacted the broker and explained that the information currently on their site relating to the ROA was out of date. We provided them with details of the new legislation and also sent them a link to our disclosure calculator which we felt may also be a useful aid for their clients in helping them work out when their conviction would become spent.
The broker was keen to engage with us and within days had updated their website and guidance to reflect the amended legislation.
This case showed how difficult it can be for organisations to keep up to date with changes in legislation. However, once this has been highlighted to them, many organisation will implement the necessary changes to ensure that their customers have clear, up to date guidance.
Notes about this case study
This case study relates to our work with other organisations.
Names and details have been changed to protect the identity of those involved.
- Insurance industry trade body issues updated guidance to insurers on how they should treat people with convictions Posted on: Aug 6th, 2019
Last week, the Association of British Insurers (ABI) published…
- Monthly update - July 2019 Posted on: Jul 29th, 2019
We've just published our update for July 2019. This months…
- Unlock comment: Ministry of Justice plans on criminal record reform Posted on: Jul 15th, 2019
Commenting on today’s announcement (15 July) by the Ministry of…
- New report highlights ‘double discrimination’ faced by black, Asian and minority ethnic people with a criminal record Posted on: Jul 15th, 2019
Unlock, the country's leading charity for people with convictions,…
- 'Double discrimination?' report published Posted on: Jul 15th, 2019
Today we've published research on the impact of criminal records as…