“I think workshops like the one today should take place more often” An individual from HMP Wormwood Scrubs
“The workshop was very well delivered and I learnt things that I was previously totally unaware of. Thank you for taking the time to inform us.” An individual from HMP Pentonville
“We recommend the workshops that Unlock deliver; they are informative, relevant and provide people with convictions with up to date and accurate information that enables them to move on with their lives.” PLIAS Resettlement, 2016
Why there is a need for disclosure workshops?
- Individuals are often unaware of where to go to get information and advice about the long term effects of their criminal record.
- Lack of money means that people can’t afford to contact information/advice organisations by letter or telephone.
- People in prison have little or no access to the internet and are therefore unable to find answers to their questions.
- Resettlement departments in prisons, personal officers and representatives from other service providers often have a limited knowledge of the issues arising from having a criminal record post-release.
What do our workshops cover?
The two-hour workshop covers the key things people with convictions should know about in terms of dealing with the impact of their criminal record. This includes:
- Understanding what’s included in a criminal record
- The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and working out when a conviction becomes ‘spent’
- Disclosing to employers – what, when and how
- Getting insurance
- Travelling abroad
- Applying to colleges and universities
- Dealing with media and online information
Read more about the workshops we ran at Wormwood Scrubs and Pentonville prisons.
- We are an independent charity for people with convictions.
- We are peer-led and are run and staffed by people who have a criminal record.
- We are recognised as the experts on criminal records and disclosure.
Interested? Contact us
If you are interested in finding out more about our workshops for individuals, please email email@example.com or call 01622 230705.
Please note: Unlock is an independent charity entirely reliant upon its own fundraising. We do not seek or accept funding to deliver government services. We are not charitably funded to deliver workshops to individuals across the country, so we have to charge to cover the costs we incur as a charity to prepare and deliver them, unless we can secure specific funding. Income from workshops is a crucial source of unrestricted income, allowing us to cover our costs and continue to support our beneficiaries.
- Book now for our Criminal Record Disclosure training on 28th November - 8 places remaining Posted on: Oct 17th, 2018
Our popular 'criminal record disclosure' training workshops continue…
- Some examples of people we've helped Posted on: Oct 5th, 2018
Looking back over the last couple of months, we’ve written up a few…
- Autumn 2018 newsletter - What we've been up to Posted on: Oct 5th, 2018
Today we've published our autumn 2018 newsletter. The newsletter…
- New guidance published to support employers with GDPR, data protection and processing criminal records in recruitment Posted on: Oct 3rd, 2018
Today we have published new guidance to support employers to ensure…
- Monthly update - September 2018 Posted on: Sep 27th, 2018
We've just published our update for September…