As part of our project fair access to employment project, alongside our work to support employers to develop good practice, we’re also on the look-out for evidence of bad practice by employers with regards to the policies and processes that they have in place for job applicants with criminal records.
What do we mean by bad practice?
This could include employers that:
- Have a blanket policy of not recruiting anybody with unspent convictions
- Carry out DBS checks for roles not eligible for them
- Request applicants to provide a copy of their ‘police record’ (also known as ‘enforced subject access’)
- Don’t give applicants an opportunity to explain their criminal record
Take a look at some of the examples we’ve posted on our website for employers.
Why do we want examples?
We’re trying to collect as much evidence of bad practice as possible. As part of this project, we’re both supporting and challenging employers. In some cases, we raise it directly with those responsible. In other situations, we press for action to be taken by others. Ultimately, we want to see employers operate fair and inclusive practices towards people with a criminal record.
How can I send examples?
Sending us bad practice is easy. Simply send the details (confidentially) to email@example.com. Send us as much detail as possible, including attachments, links and other relevant information.
Any personal details that we receive will be handled confidentially. More details on how we handle information such as this can be found here.
What do we do with the details we receive?
We may take this up with the employer directly, or we may work with other relevant parties.
Where we’ve been successful in achieving changes in practice, we write the example up anonymously and post it on our website for employers to help employers learn where others have gone wrong.
- Unlock comment: Ministry of Justice’s Education and Employment Strategy Posted on: May 22nd, 2018
Commenting on the Ministry of Justice’s Employment and Education…
- Job vacancy at Unlock - Policy & practice lead Posted on: Apr 19th, 2018
About the role This is an exciting opportunity for an exceptional…
- Unlock comment: Recruitment & Employment Confederation becomes Ban the Box employer Posted on: Mar 1st, 2018
Commenting on today’s news that the Recruitment & Employment…
- Blog - The answer to Oxfam’s safeguarding problems is not enhanced DBS checks Posted on: Feb 28th, 2018
The latest blog by Christopher Stacey (published on the Huffington…
- New guidance and tools published to help charities and individuals deal with changes to charity rules and criminal records Posted on: Feb 1st, 2018
Unlock, a leading independent charity for people with convictions,…