As part of our project fair access to employment project, alongside our work to support employers to develop good practice, we’re also on the look-out for evidence of bad practice by employers with regards to the policies and processes that they have in place for job applicants with criminal records.
What do we mean by bad practice?
This could include employers that:
- Have a blanket policy of not recruiting anybody with unspent convictions
- Carry out DBS checks for roles not eligible for them
- Request applicants to provide a copy of their ‘police record’ (also known as ‘enforced subject access’)
- Don’t give applicants an opportunity to explain their criminal record
Take a look at some of the examples we’ve posted on our website for employers.
Why do we want examples?
We’re trying to collect as much evidence of bad practice as possible. As part of this project, we’re both supporting and challenging employers. In some cases, we raise it directly with those responsible. In other situations, we press for action to be taken by others. Ultimately, we want to see employers operate fair and inclusive practices towards people with a criminal record.
How can I send examples?
Sending us bad practice is easy. Simply send the details (confidentially) to email@example.com. Send us as much detail as possible, including attachments, links and other relevant information.
Any personal details that we receive will be handled confidentially. More details on how we handle information such as this can be found here.
What do we do with the details we receive?
We may take this up with the employer directly, or we may work with other relevant parties.
Where we’ve been successful in achieving changes in practice, we write the example up anonymously and post it on our website for employers to help employers learn where others have gone wrong.
- Basic DBS checks are coming soon – find out more Posted on: Aug 16th, 2017
The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) is introducing basic…
- Blog - EastEnders, DBS checks and decriminalised offences Posted on: Jul 7th, 2017
The latest blog by Christopher Stacey looks at whether the…
- Has a criminal record in early adulthood held you back? We want to hear from you! Posted on: Jun 23rd, 2017
A criminal record at whatever age can be a real obstacle in getting…
- Conservative Party commit in manifesto to encourage employers to recruit people with convictions Posted on: May 18th, 2017
The Conservative Party has included a commitment in their 2017…
- Landmark Court of Appeal ruling - Government loses appeal against DBS filtering regime Posted on: May 3rd, 2017
Press release: 3rd May 2017 Ruling gives hope to thousands of…