Here we set out the key issues we’re focusing on as part of our policy and campaign work:
Other areas of interest
We get involved in other areas of policy where there is a link to our work. Although we don’t have dedicated policy pages for these, we tag any news or posts and these are brought together with the links below.
- Ban the Box – This campaign is led by Business in the Community and link closely to our fair access to employment project
- Childhood criminal records – This particularly relates to the work we’ve been doing with the Standing Committee for Youth Justice on changes to the laws surrounding the disclosure of youth criminal records.
- Youth criminal records – This includes our work with the Justice Committee in 2016/17
- Prison reform – This includes reforms to prisons announced by David Cameron and Michael Gove in early 2016 and reforms moving forward with Liz Truss in 2017
- Prison education – This particularly relates to the review undertaken by Dame Sally Coates, which started in 2015
- Transforming Rehabilitation – This particularly relates to the split of probation into the National Probation Service (NPS, for high-risk individuals) and the privatisation of services to manage medium and low-risk individuals through Community Rehabilitation Companies (CRC’s)
- Wipetheslateclean – This campaign was launched by Bob Ashford and is supported by Unlock
Longer list of policy issues
Although the links above relate to issues that we’re currently focusing on, there is also a longer list of policy issues that we have an interest in and as part of our ‘ear to the ground, voice at the top‘, we are always keen to receive experiences and evidence of other issues people are facing as a result of their criminal record.
- Watch our oral evidence to the Justice Committee inquiry into the disclosure of youth criminal records Posted on: Mar 15th, 2017
- Has an employer wrongly checked your official criminal record? Get in touch Posted on: Mar 6th, 2017
- Government "exploring" incentives for businesses that take on ex-offenders Posted on: Feb 27th, 2017
- Piece in The Economist - "In Britain, criminal records dog offenders for decades" Posted on: Feb 17th, 2017
- Unlocking the potential of the UK’s ex-offenders Posted on: Feb 7th, 2017