Here we set out the key issues we’re focusing on as part of our policy and campaign work.
Separately, we’ve set out our priorities for government.
Other areas of interest
We get involved in other areas of policy where there is a link to our work. Although we don’t have dedicated policy pages for these, we tag any news or posts and these are brought together with the links below.
- Ban the Box – This campaign is led by Business in the Community and links closely to our fair access to employment project. We also have a section about this on our website for employers.
- Childhood criminal records – This relates to the work we’ve been doing with the Standing Committee for Youth Justice on changes to the laws surrounding the disclosure of youth criminal records.
- Youth criminal records – This includes our work with the Justice Committee in 2016/17 and our Unlocking Experience project.
- Prison reform – This includes reforms to prisons being taken forward by government.
- Prison education – This includes the review undertaken by Dame Sally Coates, which started in 2015.
- Transforming Rehabilitation – This relates to the split of probation into the National Probation Service (NPS, for high-risk individuals) and the privatisation of services to manage medium and low-risk individuals through Community Rehabilitation Companies (CRC’s).
- Wipetheslateclean – This campaign was launched by Bob Ashford and is supported by Unlock.
Longer list of policy issues
Although the links above relate to issues that we’re currently focusing on, there is also a longer list of policy issues that we have an interest in and as part of our ‘ear to the ground, voice at the top‘, we are always keen to receive experiences and evidence of other issues people are facing as a result of their criminal record.
- Landmark case on disproportionate criminal records disclosure regime reaches Supreme Court Posted on: Jun 18th, 2018
- New paper published: University admissions and criminal records - Lessons learned and next steps Posted on: Jun 7th, 2018
- Details of the Supreme Court hearing Posted on: May 30th, 2018
- Help us to wipe DBS checks clean of old and minor criminal records - We need your help to challenge the government in the Supreme Court Posted on: May 9th, 2018
- New research finds thousands of people every year struggle because of youth criminal records from decades ago Posted on: May 9th, 2018