Here we set out the key issues we’re focusing on as part of our policy and campaign work.
Separately, we’ve set out our priorities for government.
Other areas of interest
We get involved in other areas of policy where there is a link to our work. Although we don’t have dedicated policy pages for these, we tag any news or posts and these are brought together with the links below.
- Ban the Box – This campaign is led by Business in the Community and links closely to our fair access to employment project. We also have a section about this on our website for employers.
- Childhood criminal records – This relates to the work we’ve been doing with the Standing Committee for Youth Justice on changes to the laws surrounding the disclosure of youth criminal records.
- Youth criminal records – This includes our work with the Justice Committee in 2016/17 and our Unlocking Experience project.
- Prison reform – This includes reforms to prisons being taken forward by government.
- Prison education – This includes the review undertaken by Dame Sally Coates, which started in 2015.
- Transforming Rehabilitation – This relates to the split of probation into the National Probation Service (NPS, for high-risk individuals) and the privatisation of services to manage medium and low-risk individuals through Community Rehabilitation Companies (CRC’s).
- Wipetheslateclean – This campaign was launched by Bob Ashford and is supported by Unlock.
Longer list of policy issues
Although the links above relate to issues that we’re currently focusing on, there is also a longer list of policy issues that we have an interest in and as part of our ‘ear to the ground, voice at the top‘, we are always keen to receive experiences and evidence of other issues people are facing as a result of their criminal record.
- New guidance and tools published to help charities and individuals deal with changes to charity rules and criminal records Posted on: Feb 1st, 2018
- Basic criminal record checks launched today by the DBS Posted on: Jan 17th, 2018
- Changes to rules for charities and criminal records – coming soon Posted on: Jan 15th, 2018
- Decade-old criminal record disclosures? The need for reform Posted on: Dec 6th, 2017
- New briefing published – “Criminal record checks: is the volume of disclosures proportionate?” Posted on: Dec 6th, 2017