A key approach to our work is ‘ear to the ground, voice at the top’.
Through our support, we make sure that we listen and learn about the difficulties that people with convictions are facing as a result of their criminal record when they are trying to move on with their lives.
In response to these problems, we identify recurring, systemic and structural issues that could be resolved through changes in policy.
Through our policy and campaign work, our aim is to achieve changes in policies and practices so that we have a fairer and more inclusive society towards people with criminal record.
What we do
Our policy and campaign work comes in various forms. It includes:
- Running targeted programmes of work. Currently, we’re running a programme of work focusing on fair access to employment.
- Focusing on key priority issues
- Undertaking research
- Collecting evidence on a range of issues
- Responding to consultations and making submissions
- Getting involved in strategic litigation on key issues
- Improving the policies and practices of other organisations
- Influencing attitudes – e.g. through work in the media
- Speaking truth to power
We also challenge bad practice on a case-by-case basis through our case work.
Working in partnership
A key part of our policy and campaign work is to work with other organisations, both in partnership, membership and as part of alliances. Some of these are listed below. We are:
- members of the Employers’ Forum for Reducing Reoffending
- on the stakeholder group of the ‘Ban the Box’ campaign
- a founding member of the ‘Wipe the Slate Clean’ campaign
- an active member of the Criminal Justice Alliance
- regularly engaged with the Information Commissioner’s Office
- a member of the Standing Committee for Youth Justice
- a member of the National Association for Youth Justice
Our track record
We have a powerful track record of listening to individuals, identifying problems and influencing policy, and by ensuring the voices of people with convictions are heard by people that can make a strategic impact on their lives.
You can read about some the things we’ve achieved through our policy and campaign work.
- Report backs tax breaks to employers that recruit people with convictions Posted on: Jun 25th, 2019
Commenting on a report published today by Onward, Unlocking a Better…
- New dates announced for our criminal record disclosure training Posted on: Jun 20th, 2019
Places are limited so please book early to avoid…
- Monthly update - May 2019 Posted on: May 30th, 2019
We've just published our update for May 2019. This months…
- Bloomsbury Institute breaks new ground with ban the box for staff and students Posted on: May 13th, 2019
Bloomsbury Institute becomes the first higher education provider to…
- Appointing a trustee with a criminal record: reflections of a successful applicant and charity Posted on: May 13th, 2019
This blog is the lived experience of a charity working within the…