Job vacancy at Unlock – Policy & practice lead
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity for an exceptional individual with proven experience and potential to take on a senior role in a small team and lead our work in increasing the employment of people with criminal records by supporting and challenging employers to change their recruitment policies and practices, working to prevent unlawful criminal record checks, influencing government policy and working on other policy and practice issues (such as access to higher education).
We are an independent, highly respected social inclusion charity based in Maidstone, Kent. Established in 2000, we provide a voice and support for people with convictions who are facing stigma and obstacles because of their criminal record, often long after they have served their sentence. Unlock has six staff (seven including you), with 2-3 volunteers each day supporting our highly-regarded helpline.
- An ambitious person that has a passion for making a positive difference and challenging inequality
- Love working in a small team but are self-motivated enough to excel without supervision
- Are energetic and innovative in your approach
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Have a track record of influencing policy and practice
- Have a commitment to Unlock’s aims, values and approach
- Are able to research, write and publish information aimed at a wide range of people
- Thrive on overcoming difficult situations, identifying emerging trends and bringing together evidence to support broader work, while respecting data protection and confidentiality
- A past criminal record is not a requirement for this role but nor is it a bar
Salary & hours
£27,000 per annum. Full time, permanent.
Location is flexible. The role can be based in our Maidstone office, or the role can be home-based (with bi-monthly meetings in Maidstone).
Download the recruitment pack for a copy of the job description and person specification.
To apply, send a completed application form along with a CV and concise covering letter (telling us about what you do currently and why you think you are suitable for this role):
- By email to – email@example.com (with the subject line ‘Policy & practice lead’), or
- By post to – Policy & practice lead, Unlock, MCSC, 39-48 Marsham Street, Maidstone, Kent, ME14 1HH
Closing date for applications: 10am, Monday 14th May 2018
Interviews: To be held on Thursday 24th May in Maidstone
- If you would like an informal discussion about the role before you apply, you can contact Christopher Stacey, co-director, at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange.
- If you have any questions about the application form or application process, please call 01622 230705 or email email@example.com
- Almost three-quarters of applications for waivers from charity trustees or senior managers who face possible disqualification, have not yet been dealt with by the Charity Commission Posted on: Jul 16th, 2018
New rules that disqualify people from being senior managers or…
- Summer 2018 newsletter - What we've been up to Posted on: Jul 6th, 2018
Today we've published our summer 18 newsletter. The newsletter…
- Blog - Standing up to the government in the Supreme Court – Some reflections on last month’s landmark criminal record disclosure hearing Posted on: Jul 4th, 2018
The latest blog by Christopher Stacey reflects on last month’s…
- Unlock comment: Government announces scrapping of 'disqualification by association' in schools Posted on: Jul 2nd, 2018
Commenting on today’s news of changes to the childcare…
- Some examples of people we've helped Posted on: Jun 28th, 2018
Looking back over the last couple of months, we’ve written up a few…