Support our CrowdJustice case to intervene in the Supreme Court next month
We have recently undertaken an important legal effort to intervene in a Supreme Court case which is due to be heard next month and which challenges the government’s approach to disclosing old and minor criminal records on standard and enhanced DBS checks.
The government is arguing that the current criminal records disclosure regime is fair. We disagree.
Unlock has been granted permission by the Supreme Court to intervene. We want to put forward strong arguments on behalf of everyone who is unfairly affected by the criminal records disclosure regime because of its blunt rules which result in, for example, indefinite disclosure in all cases where someone was convicted of more than one offence, no matter how old or minor those offences were. Intervening will help us to make sure that the Supreme Court understands the importance of the issue, the failings of the current system, and how it could be changed for the better.
We are launching a crowdfunding campaign on CrowdJustice on Wednesday 9th May at 8am to pay for the legal costs that will help us to do this.
This is the first time in our 18-year history that Unlock has intervened in a legal case. That shows how important we think this case is.
It’s hugely important work and I’m hoping I can count on your support when our case goes live.
The Supreme Court hearing is due to be heard on the 19, 20 and 21 June. We’ll be providing more details about the hearing itself in the coming weeks.
- Update on research - The right to a fair future: understanding the influence of an early life criminal record on adult life courses Posted on: Sep 6th, 2019
Nicola Collett, a PhD student at Keele University, is currently…
- New policy briefing - EU nationals, settled status and criminal records Posted on: Sep 4th, 2019
This new briefing sets out the concerns that Unlock has about the EU…
- Are you female and have a criminal record? We want to hear from you! Posted on: Aug 30th, 2019
A criminal record can be a real obstacle in getting on in life. What…
- Monthly update - August 2019 Posted on: Aug 27th, 2019
We've just published our update for August 2019. This…
- Insurance industry trade body issues updated guidance to insurers on how they should treat people with convictions Posted on: Aug 6th, 2019
Last week, the Association of British Insurers (ABI) published…