Support our CrowdJustice case to intervene in the Supreme Court next month
We have recently undertaken an important legal effort to intervene in a Supreme Court case which is due to be heard next month and which challenges the government’s approach to disclosing old and minor criminal records on standard and enhanced DBS checks.
The government is arguing that the current criminal records disclosure regime is fair. We disagree.
Unlock has been granted permission by the Supreme Court to intervene. We want to put forward strong arguments on behalf of everyone who is unfairly affected by the criminal records disclosure regime because of its blunt rules which result in, for example, indefinite disclosure in all cases where someone was convicted of more than one offence, no matter how old or minor those offences were. Intervening will help us to make sure that the Supreme Court understands the importance of the issue, the failings of the current system, and how it could be changed for the better.
We are launching a crowdfunding campaign on CrowdJustice on Wednesday 9th May at 8am to pay for the legal costs that will help us to do this.
This is the first time in our 18-year history that Unlock has intervened in a legal case. That shows how important we think this case is.
It’s hugely important work and I’m hoping I can count on your support when our case goes live.
The Supreme Court hearing is due to be heard on the 19, 20 and 21 June. We’ll be providing more details about the hearing itself in the coming weeks.
- Report backs tax breaks to employers that recruit people with convictions Posted on: Jun 25th, 2019
Commenting on a report published today by Onward, Unlocking a Better…
- New dates announced for our criminal record disclosure training Posted on: Jun 20th, 2019
Places are limited so please book early to avoid…
- Monthly update - May 2019 Posted on: May 30th, 2019
We've just published our update for May 2019. This months…
- Bloomsbury Institute breaks new ground with ban the box for staff and students Posted on: May 13th, 2019
Bloomsbury Institute becomes the first higher education provider to…
- Appointing a trustee with a criminal record: reflections of a successful applicant and charity Posted on: May 13th, 2019
This blog is the lived experience of a charity working within the…