Support our CrowdJustice case to intervene in the Supreme Court next month
We have recently undertaken an important legal effort to intervene in a Supreme Court case which is due to be heard next month and which challenges the government’s approach to disclosing old and minor criminal records on standard and enhanced DBS checks.
The government is arguing that the current criminal records disclosure regime is fair. We disagree.
Unlock has been granted permission by the Supreme Court to intervene. We want to put forward strong arguments on behalf of everyone who is unfairly affected by the criminal records disclosure regime because of its blunt rules which result in, for example, indefinite disclosure in all cases where someone was convicted of more than one offence, no matter how old or minor those offences were. Intervening will help us to make sure that the Supreme Court understands the importance of the issue, the failings of the current system, and how it could be changed for the better.
We are launching a crowdfunding campaign on CrowdJustice on Wednesday 9th May at 8am to pay for the legal costs that will help us to do this.
This is the first time in our 18-year history that Unlock has intervened in a legal case. That shows how important we think this case is.
It’s hugely important work and I’m hoping I can count on your support when our case goes live.
The Supreme Court hearing is due to be heard on the 19, 20 and 21 June. We’ll be providing more details about the hearing itself in the coming weeks.
- Disclosure workshops for individuals - one year on Posted on: May 15th, 2018
Back in 2016, we ran two disclosure workshops at HMP Wormwood Scrubs…
- Help us to wipe DBS checks clean of old and minor criminal records - We need your help to challenge the government in the Supreme Court Posted on: May 9th, 2018
We've launched a CrowdJustice appeal to help us raise money to pay…
- Youth criminal records report published Posted on: May 9th, 2018
Today we've launched new research on the impact of criminal records…
- New research finds thousands of people every year struggle because of youth criminal records from decades ago Posted on: May 9th, 2018
Unlock, the country's leading charity for people with convictions,…
- Support our CrowdJustice case to intervene in the Supreme Court next month Posted on: May 4th, 2018
We have recently undertaken an important legal effort to intervene in…