Civil service to “ban the box” to help rehabilitate people with convictions
This week David Cameron unveiled a raft of prison reform measures. One of these will be to scrap the declaration of criminal convictions in the initial application stage for civil service jobs.
Responding to this announcement, Unlock’s Christopher Stacey said:
“We welcome David Camerons’ commitment to the Ban the Box campaign and in changing the recruitment practice of the Civil Service towards people with convictions.
The Civil Service represents a significant employer and this news is a welcome boost to the employment prospects of the millions of people with a criminal record.
There’s no reason why any role should be closed off to banning the box and we look forward to ensuring that the Civil Service implement the Prime Ministers’ commitment alongside a number of other measures to make it a fairer and more inclusive employer towards people with convictions.
We work closely with employers to encourage them to recruit people with convictions and deal with criminal records fairly. We look forward to working with Government, alongside BITC and others, to encourage more employers to take this proactive approach in removing the barriers people with convictions face when looking for work.”
Our quote was featured in an article in Civil Service World.
Notes to editors
- Press/media contact: Christopher Stacey, Co-Director, firstname.lastname@example.org / 07557 676433
- Unlock is an independent, award-winning charity for people with convictions which exists for two simple reasons. Firstly, we assist people to move on positively with their lives by empowering them with information, advice and support to overcome the stigma of their previous convictions. Secondly, we seek to promote a fairer and more inclusive society by challenging discriminatory practices and promoting socially just alternatives.
- Our website is www.unlock.org.uk.
- David Camerons’ full speech can be read here.
- More information about Ban the Box here.
- Are you from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic (BAME) background and have a criminal record? We want to hear from you! Posted on: Nov 13th, 2018
A criminal record can be a real obstacle in getting on in life. But…
- Monthly update - October 2018 Posted on: Oct 31st, 2018
We've just published our update for October…
- Unlock speaks to Radio Sussex about the findings of it's new report and how some employers may potentially be breaking the law Posted on: Oct 25th, 2018
Following the publication of Unlock's A question of…
- Almost three-quarters of national companies continue to ask about criminal records at job application stage, new research shows Posted on: Oct 25th, 2018
Unlock has today published new research that shows the vast majority…
- Book now for our Criminal Record Disclosure training on 28th November -Only 3 places remaining Posted on: Oct 17th, 2018
Our popular 'criminal record disclosure' training workshops continue…