Civil service to “ban the box” to help rehabilitate people with convictions
This week David Cameron unveiled a raft of prison reform measures. One of these will be to scrap the declaration of criminal convictions in the initial application stage for civil service jobs.
Responding to this announcement, Unlock’s Christopher Stacey said:
“We welcome David Camerons’ commitment to the Ban the Box campaign and in changing the recruitment practice of the Civil Service towards people with convictions.
The Civil Service represents a significant employer and this news is a welcome boost to the employment prospects of the millions of people with a criminal record.
There’s no reason why any role should be closed off to banning the box and we look forward to ensuring that the Civil Service implement the Prime Ministers’ commitment alongside a number of other measures to make it a fairer and more inclusive employer towards people with convictions.
We work closely with employers to encourage them to recruit people with convictions and deal with criminal records fairly. We look forward to working with Government, alongside BITC and others, to encourage more employers to take this proactive approach in removing the barriers people with convictions face when looking for work.”
Our quote was featured in an article in Civil Service World.
Notes to editors
- Press/media contact: Christopher Stacey, Co-Director, firstname.lastname@example.org / 07557 676433
- Unlock is an independent, award-winning charity for people with convictions which exists for two simple reasons. Firstly, we assist people to move on positively with their lives by empowering them with information, advice and support to overcome the stigma of their previous convictions. Secondly, we seek to promote a fairer and more inclusive society by challenging discriminatory practices and promoting socially just alternatives.
- Our website is www.unlock.org.uk.
- David Camerons’ full speech can be read here.
- More information about Ban the Box here.
- Unlock speaks at High Sheriff charity event Posted on: Oct 17th, 2017
Unlock’s Co-director, Julie Harmsworth, was delighted to speak at…
- Autumn 2017 Newsletter - What we've been up to Posted on: Oct 11th, 2017
Today we've published our autumn 2017 newsletter. The newsletter…
- Some examples of people we've helped Posted on: Oct 10th, 2017
Looking back over the last couple of months, we’ve written up a few…
- Monthly update - September 2017 Posted on: Oct 2nd, 2017
We've just published our update for September…
- Unlock speaks to Radio 4’s Money Box on how some insurers are breaking the law Posted on: Sep 18th, 2017
Unlock speaks to Paul Lewis of Radio 4 Money Box on how insurers…