Civil service to “ban the box” to help rehabilitate people with convictions
This week David Cameron unveiled a raft of prison reform measures. One of these will be to scrap the declaration of criminal convictions in the initial application stage for civil service jobs.
Responding to this announcement, Unlock’s Christopher Stacey said:
“We welcome David Camerons’ commitment to the Ban the Box campaign and in changing the recruitment practice of the Civil Service towards people with convictions.
The Civil Service represents a significant employer and this news is a welcome boost to the employment prospects of the millions of people with a criminal record.
There’s no reason why any role should be closed off to banning the box and we look forward to ensuring that the Civil Service implement the Prime Ministers’ commitment alongside a number of other measures to make it a fairer and more inclusive employer towards people with convictions.
We work closely with employers to encourage them to recruit people with convictions and deal with criminal records fairly. We look forward to working with Government, alongside BITC and others, to encourage more employers to take this proactive approach in removing the barriers people with convictions face when looking for work.”
Our quote was featured in an article in Civil Service World.
Notes to editors
- Press/media contact: Christopher Stacey, Co-Director, firstname.lastname@example.org / 07557 676433
- Unlock is an independent, award-winning charity for people with convictions which exists for two simple reasons. Firstly, we assist people to move on positively with their lives by empowering them with information, advice and support to overcome the stigma of their previous convictions. Secondly, we seek to promote a fairer and more inclusive society by challenging discriminatory practices and promoting socially just alternatives.
- Our website is www.unlock.org.uk.
- David Camerons’ full speech can be read here.
- More information about Ban the Box here.
Authors of posts
- Please help us unlock funding so that we can help more people Posted on: May 17th, 2017
In the last year, our Information Hub website was used over 1.3…
- Volunteer's Week is almost here Posted on: May 16th, 2017
It's Volunteer's Week from the 1st to 7th June and, like many…
- 'Criminal record disclosure' training - 21st June 2017 - last few places remaining- book now! Posted on: May 16th, 2017
Our popular 'criminal record disclosure' training workshops continue…
- Blog - My top 4 priorities for the next government Posted on: May 12th, 2017
People with criminal records - An untapped talent pool that has been…
- Families of prisoners pay high insurance premiums and face more refusals Posted on: May 9th, 2017
An article in the Independent reports that families of offenders face…