Briefing for insurers on criminal convictions
Back in late January, we took part in a briefing event for the insurance industry on criminal convictions and insurance.
In our day-to-day work, and especially through our helpline, we regularly come across examples of poor practice by insurers. Whether it’s a poor understanding of when convictions become spent, insurers insisting that spent convictions need to be disclosed or claims handlers telling those who make a claim that they have to provide their full police record. All of these are situations that people with convictions regularly face. We want to put a stop to this kind of practice.
That’s why we were pleased to take part in the event in January, hosted by the Association of British Insurers (ABI). We had three main aims:
- To help insurers’ understanding of disclosure periods for offences under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
- To promote good practice when asking for criminal records
- To provide guidance to insurers on the proper channels for accessing unspent conviction histories
It was good to see a number of big insurers represented, and it’s clear that there’s a lot more work to do.
We’ve published the briefing that we prepared for the event. We’re also reviewing the questions that insurance companies ask and are working on those examples that we come across that are misleading.
Ultimately, we want to see insurers take a fairer approach towards people with convictions.
Written by Christopher Stacey, Co-Director of Unlock
- You can download the briefing for insurers from the guidance for insurers section of our information site
- If you’ve come across examples of misleading questions by insurers, please send us the details (in confidence – no personal details are required)
- There’s more details about our policy work on insurance here
- Press/media enquiries – click here
- Landmark case on disproportionate criminal records disclosure regime reaches Supreme Court Posted on: Jun 18th, 2018
The Supreme Court will tomorrow hear the Government’s appeal in a…
- Welcome aboard! Posted on: Jun 14th, 2018
- New paper published: University admissions and criminal records - Lessons learned and next steps Posted on: Jun 7th, 2018
Today Unlock has published a paper, University admissions and…
- Criminal record disclosure training - Hurry! Just 4 tickets remaining for our September workshop- Book now! Posted on: May 31st, 2018
Our popular 'criminal record disclosure' training workshops…
- Details of the Supreme Court hearing Posted on: May 30th, 2018
As part of our work to wipe DBS clean of old and minor criminal…