Briefing for insurers on criminal convictions
Back in late January, we took part in a briefing event for the insurance industry on criminal convictions and insurance.
In our day-to-day work, and especially through our helpline, we regularly come across examples of poor practice by insurers. Whether it’s a poor understanding of when convictions become spent, insurers insisting that spent convictions need to be disclosed or claims handlers telling those who make a claim that they have to provide their full police record. All of these are situations that people with convictions regularly face. We want to put a stop to this kind of practice.
That’s why we were pleased to take part in the event in January, hosted by the Association of British Insurers (ABI). We had three main aims:
- To help insurers’ understanding of disclosure periods for offences under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
- To promote good practice when asking for criminal records
- To provide guidance to insurers on the proper channels for accessing unspent conviction histories
It was good to see a number of big insurers represented, and it’s clear that there’s a lot more work to do.
We’ve published the briefing that we prepared for the event. We’re also reviewing the questions that insurance companies ask and are working on those examples that we come across that are misleading.
Ultimately, we want to see insurers take a fairer approach towards people with convictions.
Written by Christopher Stacey, Co-Director of Unlock
- You can download the briefing for insurers from the guidance for insurers section of our information site
- If you’ve come across examples of misleading questions by insurers, please send us the details (in confidence – no personal details are required)
- There’s more details about our policy work on insurance here
- Press/media enquiries – click here
- Monthly update - November 2018 Posted on: Nov 29th, 2018
We've just published our update for November…
- Unlock speaks to Radio 4's Law in Action - Should having a past block a child's future? Posted on: Nov 21st, 2018
Unlock's Christopher Stacey talks to Joshua Rozenberg about the…
- Book now for our criminal record disclosure training on 24th April 2019 Posted on: Nov 21st, 2018
Our popular 'criminal record disclosure' training workshops continue…
- Are you from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic (BAME) background and have a criminal record? We want to hear from you! Posted on: Nov 13th, 2018
A criminal record can be a real obstacle in getting on in life. But…
- Monthly update - October 2018 Posted on: Oct 31st, 2018
We've just published our update for October…