Are you from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic (BAME) background and have a criminal record? We want to hear from you!
A criminal record can be a real obstacle in getting on in life. But what we don’t know is if people from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) groups face additional barriers that white people don’t.
Unlock is an independent charity for people with criminal records. We’re collecting evidence that will help us to better understand the barriers that BAME groups face in terms of their criminal record.
Our focus is mainly on the issues that people face after they’ve received their criminal record. However, we’re also keen to identify any issues that BAME groups might face earlier on in the process of getting a criminal record that have an impact later on in terms of the criminal record and its consequences on them.
So what do we want to know?
We’re keen to hear from a wide range of voices, not just those that have been to prison. So, whether you’ve been to prison, given probation, fined or given a caution, we want to hear from you.
We’ve put together a short online survey for people with a criminal record – it should only take 10-15 minutes to complete, and all responses will be confidential and no personal details shared externally.
Your answers will directly inform our recommendations for structural and practical changes. These recommendations will be shared with people who have the power to make changes.
We also welcome responses from practitioners and organisations that have experience in this area. If that’s you, you can share your thoughts by emailing them to email@example.com.
The initial deadline for responses is 5pm on Thursday 20th December.
Thank you for your support.
Written by Christopher Stacey, Co-director of Unlock
Complete the short online survey
This work is part of our Unlocking Experience project.
- Update on research - The right to a fair future: understanding the influence of an early life criminal record on adult life courses Posted on: Sep 6th, 2019
Nicola Collett, a PhD student at Keele University, is currently…
- New policy briefing - EU nationals, settled status and criminal records Posted on: Sep 4th, 2019
This new briefing sets out the concerns that Unlock has about the EU…
- Are you female and have a criminal record? We want to hear from you! Posted on: Aug 30th, 2019
A criminal record can be a real obstacle in getting on in life. What…
- Monthly update - August 2019 Posted on: Aug 27th, 2019
We've just published our update for August 2019. This…
- Insurance industry trade body issues updated guidance to insurers on how they should treat people with convictions Posted on: Aug 6th, 2019
Last week, the Association of British Insurers (ABI) published…