Unlock is an independent, award-winning charity for people with convictions which exists for two simple reasons.
Firstly, we assist people to move on positively with their lives by empowering them with information, advice and support to overcome the stigma of their previous convictions.
Secondly, we seek to promote a fairer and more inclusive society by challenging discriminatory practices and promoting socially just alternatives.
Take a look at our 2016-2020 Strategic Plan.
What does this mean in practice?
- We support people with convictions by providing information, advice and support through our websites and helpline
- We help practitioners who support people with convictions by providing criminal record disclosure training and useful resources
- We recruit and train people with convictions as volunteers to help support the information and advice we provide
- We support employers in the fair treatment of people with criminal records
We listen and learn
- Our helpline and forum provide an ear to ground on the problems that people face as a result of their criminal record
- We collect evidence and undertake research into the barriers caused by criminal convictions
We take action
- We challenge bad practice by employers and push for improvements to the way that criminal record checks operate
- We advocate for a fairer and more inclusive society by working at a policy level with Government, employers and others
- Winter 2016/17 Activities Newsletter Posted on: Jan 4th, 2017
Today we've published our winter 2016/17 activities…
- Monthly update - December 2016 Posted on: Jan 3rd, 2017
We've just published our update for December…
- Looking back at some key moments in 2016 Posted on: Dec 20th, 2016
With the Christmas break almost here and 2016 coming to an end, I…
- Next 'criminal record disclosure' training - 22 February 2017 - Book now! Posted on: Dec 20th, 2016
Our popular 'criminal record disclosure' training workshops…
- Employers should be more open to employing people with convictions Posted on: Dec 19th, 2016