Unlock is an independent award-winning charity that provides a voice and support for people with convictions who are facing stigma and obstacles because of their criminal record.
We exist for two simple reasons.
Firstly, we help people to move on positively with their lives by empowering them with information, advice and support to overcome the stigma of their previous convictions.
Secondly, we seek to promote a fairer and more inclusive society by challenging discriminatory practices and promoting socially just alternatives.
Take a look at our 2016-2020 strategic plan.
What does this mean in practice?
- We support people with convictions by providing information, advice and support through our websites and helpline
- We help practitioners who support people with convictions by providing criminal record disclosure training and useful resources
- We recruit and train people with convictions as volunteers to help support the information and advice we provide
- We support employers in the fair treatment of people with criminal records
We listen and learn
- Our helpline and forum provide an ear to ground on the problems that people face as a result of their criminal record
- We collect evidence and undertake research into the barriers caused by criminal convictions
We take action
- We challenge bad practice by employers and push for improvements to the way that criminal record checks operate
- We advocate for a fairer and more inclusive society by working at a policy level with government, employers and others
- New guidance and tools published to help charities and individuals deal with changes to charity rules and criminal records Posted on: Feb 1st, 2018
Unlock, a leading independent charity for people with convictions,…
- Monthly update - January 2018 Posted on: Jan 30th, 2018
We've just published our update for January…
- Unlock is recruiting Trustees! Posted on: Jan 29th, 2018
We are actively recruiting Trustees to join the Board at…
- Unlock reports on another successful year Posted on: Jan 22nd, 2018
- Basic criminal record checks launched today by the DBS Posted on: Jan 17th, 2018
From today, the 17th January 2018, basic criminal record checks can…