Unlock is an independent award-winning charity that provides a voice and support for people with convictions who are facing stigma and obstacles because of their criminal record.
We exist for two simple reasons.
Firstly, we help people to move on positively with their lives by empowering them with information, advice and support to overcome the stigma of their previous convictions.
Secondly, we seek to promote a fairer and more inclusive society by challenging discriminatory practices and promoting socially just alternatives.
Take a look at our 2016-2020 strategic plan.
What does this mean in practice?
- We support people with convictions by providing information, advice and support through our websites and helpline
- We help practitioners who support people with convictions by providing criminal record disclosure training and useful resources
- We recruit and train people with convictions as volunteers to help support the information and advice we provide
- We support employers in the fair treatment of people with criminal records
We listen and learn
- Our helpline and forum provide an ear to ground on the problems that people face as a result of their criminal record
- We collect evidence and undertake research into the barriers caused by criminal convictions
We take action
- We challenge bad practice by employers and push for improvements to the way that criminal record checks operate
- We advocate for a fairer and more inclusive society by working at a policy level with government, employers and others
- Tickets for our 'Criminal record disclosure' workshop in June have sold out - Book now for our workshop on 4th October Posted on: Jun 1st, 2017
Our popular 'criminal record disclosure' training workshops…
- Monthly update - May 2017 Posted on: May 31st, 2017
We've just published our update for May…
- Rehabilitation in the internet age - The Google-effect and the disclosure of criminal records Posted on: May 31st, 2017
The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 provides people with…
- Please help us unlock funding so that we can help more people Posted on: May 17th, 2017
In the last year, our Information Hub website was used over 1.3…
- Volunteer's Week is almost here Posted on: May 16th, 2017
It's Volunteer's Week from the 1st to 7th June and, like many…