Unlock is an independent award-winning charity that provides a voice and support for people with convictions who are facing stigma and obstacles because of their criminal record.
We exist for two simple reasons.
Firstly, we help people to move on positively with their lives by empowering them with information, advice and support to overcome the stigma of their previous convictions.
Secondly, we seek to promote a fairer and more inclusive society by challenging discriminatory practices and promoting socially just alternatives.
Take a look at our 2016-2020 strategic plan.
What does this mean in practice?
- We support people with convictions by providing information, advice and support through our websites and helpline
- We help practitioners who support people with convictions by providing criminal record disclosure training and useful resources
- We recruit and train people with convictions as volunteers to help support the information and advice we provide
- We support employers in the fair treatment of people with criminal records
We listen and learn
- Our helpline and forum provide an ear to ground on the problems that people face as a result of their criminal record
- We collect evidence and undertake research into the barriers caused by criminal convictions
We take action
- We challenge bad practice by employers and push for improvements to the way that criminal record checks operate
- We advocate for a fairer and more inclusive society by working at a policy level with government, employers and others
- Book now for our Criminal Record Disclosure training on 28th November - 8 places remaining Posted on: Oct 17th, 2018
Our popular 'criminal record disclosure' training workshops continue…
- Some examples of people we've helped Posted on: Oct 5th, 2018
Looking back over the last couple of months, we’ve written up a few…
- Autumn 2018 newsletter - What we've been up to Posted on: Oct 5th, 2018
Today we've published our autumn 2018 newsletter. The newsletter…
- New guidance published to support employers with GDPR, data protection and processing criminal records in recruitment Posted on: Oct 3rd, 2018
Today we have published new guidance to support employers to ensure…
- Monthly update - September 2018 Posted on: Sep 27th, 2018
We've just published our update for September…