Unlock is an independent award-winning charity that provides a voice and support for people with convictions who are facing stigma and obstacles because of their criminal record.
We exist for two simple reasons.
Firstly, we help people to move on positively with their lives by empowering them with information, advice and support to overcome the stigma of their previous convictions.
Secondly, we seek to promote a fairer and more inclusive society by challenging discriminatory practices and promoting socially just alternatives.
Take a look at our 2016-2020 strategic plan.
What does this mean in practice?
- We support people with convictions by providing information, advice and support through our websites and helpline
- We help practitioners who support people with convictions by providing criminal record disclosure training and useful resources
- We recruit and train people with convictions as volunteers to help support the information and advice we provide
- We support employers in the fair treatment of people with criminal records
We listen and learn
- Our helpline and forum provide an ear to ground on the problems that people face as a result of their criminal record
- We collect evidence and undertake research into the barriers caused by criminal convictions
We take action
- We challenge bad practice by employers and push for improvements to the way that criminal record checks operate
- We advocate for a fairer and more inclusive society by working at a policy level with government, employers and others
- Unlock submission on proposals to amend disclosure rules in Scotland Posted on: Apr 22nd, 2018
Unlock has made a submission to the Scottish Government in response…
- Job vacancy at Unlock - Policy & practice lead Posted on: Apr 19th, 2018
About the role This is an exciting opportunity for an exceptional…
- Unlock comment: High Court judgment on 'Right to be Forgotten' and spent convictions case Posted on: Apr 13th, 2018
Commenting on the High Court ruling on the Right to be Forgotten and…
- Spring 2018 newsletter - What we've been up to Posted on: Apr 5th, 2018
Today we've published our spring 18 newsletter. The newsletter…
- Some examples of people we've helped Posted on: Apr 5th, 2018
Looking back over the last couple of months, we’ve written up a few…