Unlock is an independent award-winning charity that provides a voice and support for people with convictions who are facing stigma and obstacles because of their criminal record.
We exist for two simple reasons.
Firstly, we help people to move on positively with their lives by empowering them with information, advice and support to overcome the stigma of their previous convictions.
Secondly, we seek to promote a fairer and more inclusive society by challenging discriminatory practices and promoting socially just alternatives.
Take a look at our 2016-2020 strategic plan.
What does this mean in practice?
- We support people with convictions by providing information, advice and support through our websites and helpline
- We help practitioners who support people with convictions by providing criminal record disclosure training and useful resources
- We recruit and train people with convictions as volunteers to help support the information and advice we provide
- We support employers in the fair treatment of people with criminal records
We listen and learn
- Our helpline and forum provide an ear to ground on the problems that people face as a result of their criminal record
- We collect evidence and undertake research into the barriers caused by criminal convictions
We take action
- We challenge bad practice by employers and push for improvements to the way that criminal record checks operate
- We advocate for a fairer and more inclusive society by working at a policy level with government, employers and others
- Landmark case on disproportionate criminal records disclosure regime reaches Supreme Court Posted on: Jun 18th, 2018
The Supreme Court will tomorrow hear the Government’s appeal in a…
- Welcome aboard! Posted on: Jun 14th, 2018
- New paper published: University admissions and criminal records - Lessons learned and next steps Posted on: Jun 7th, 2018
Today Unlock has published a paper, University admissions and…
- Criminal record disclosure training - Hurry! Just 4 tickets remaining for our September workshop- Book now! Posted on: May 31st, 2018
Our popular 'criminal record disclosure' training workshops…
- Details of the Supreme Court hearing Posted on: May 30th, 2018
As part of our work to wipe DBS clean of old and minor criminal…