Unlock is an independent award-winning charity that provides a voice and support for people with convictions who are facing stigma and obstacles because of their criminal record.
We exist for two simple reasons.
Firstly, we help people to move on positively with their lives by empowering them with information, advice and support to overcome the stigma of their previous convictions.
Secondly, we seek to promote a fairer and more inclusive society by challenging discriminatory practices and promoting socially just alternatives.
Take a look at our 2016-2020 strategic plan.
What does this mean in practice?
- We support people with convictions by providing information, advice and support through our websites and helpline
- We help practitioners who support people with convictions by providing criminal record disclosure training and useful resources
- We recruit and train people with convictions as volunteers to help support the information and advice we provide
- We support employers in the fair treatment of people with criminal records
We listen and learn
- Our helpline and forum provide an ear to ground on the problems that people face as a result of their criminal record
- We collect evidence and undertake research into the barriers caused by criminal convictions
We take action
- We challenge bad practice by employers and push for improvements to the way that criminal record checks operate
- We advocate for a fairer and more inclusive society by working at a policy level with government, employers and others
- Press and media coverage of the Supreme Court judgment Posted on: Feb 4th, 2019
There has been a significant amount of press and media…
- Monthly update - January 2019 Posted on: Jan 31st, 2019
We've just published our update for January…
- Unlock response to Supreme Court judgment on criminal records disclosure regime Posted on: Jan 30th, 2019
Unlock, the leading charity for people with convictions, has today…
- A personal response to today's Supreme Court ruling Posted on: Jan 30th, 2019
Elli has been actively involved in our work to push for changes to…
- Supreme Court to issue judgment on landmark criminal records disclosure regime case on Wednesday 30th January Posted on: Jan 25th, 2019
On Wednesday 30th January at 9.45am, the Supreme Court will hand down…