Unlock is an independent award-winning charity that provides a voice and support for people with convictions who are facing stigma and obstacles because of their criminal record.
We exist for two simple reasons.
Firstly, we help people to move on positively with their lives by empowering them with information, advice and support to overcome the stigma of their previous convictions.
Secondly, we seek to promote a fairer and more inclusive society by challenging discriminatory practices and promoting socially just alternatives.
Take a look at our 2016-2020 strategic plan.
What does this mean in practice?
- We support people with convictions by providing information, advice and support through our websites and helpline
- We help practitioners who support people with convictions by providing criminal record disclosure training and useful resources
- We recruit and train people with convictions as volunteers to help support the information and advice we provide
- We support employers in the fair treatment of people with criminal records
We listen and learn
- Our helpline and forum provide an ear to ground on the problems that people face as a result of their criminal record
- We collect evidence and undertake research into the barriers caused by criminal convictions
We take action
- We challenge bad practice by employers and push for improvements to the way that criminal record checks operate
- We advocate for a fairer and more inclusive society by working at a policy level with government, employers and others
- Westminster Hall debate on the disclosure of youth criminal records Posted on: Apr 4th, 2019
The 28th March saw a Westminster Hall debate on the disclosure of…
- Unlock response to Supreme Court judgment on criminal records disclosure regime Posted on: Jan 30th, 2019
Unlock, the leading charity for people with convictions, has today…
- Supreme Court to issue judgment on landmark criminal records disclosure regime case on Wednesday 30th January Posted on: Jan 25th, 2019
On Wednesday 30th January at 9.45am, the Supreme Court will hand down…
- Are you from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic (BAME) background and have a criminal record? We want to hear from you! Posted on: Nov 13th, 2018
A criminal record can be a real obstacle in getting on in life. But…
- Landmark case on disproportionate criminal records disclosure regime reaches Supreme Court Posted on: Jun 18th, 2018
The Supreme Court will tomorrow hear the Government’s appeal in a…