Unlock is an independent, award-winning charity for people with convictions which exists for two simple reasons.
Firstly, we assist people to move on positively with their lives by empowering them with information, advice and support to overcome the stigma of their previous convictions.
Secondly, we seek to promote a fairer and more inclusive society by challenging discriminatory practices and promoting socially just alternatives.
Take a look at our 2016-2020 Strategic Plan.
What does this mean in practice?
- We support people with convictions by providing information, advice and support through our websites and helpline
- We help practitioners who support people with convictions by providing criminal record disclosure training and useful resources
- We recruit and train people with convictions as volunteers to help support the information and advice we provide
- We support employers in the fair treatment of people with criminal records
We listen and learn
- Our helpline and forum provide an ear to ground on the problems that people face as a result of their criminal record
- We collect evidence and undertake research into the barriers caused by criminal convictions
We take action
- We challenge bad practice by employers and push for improvements to the way that criminal record checks operate
- We advocate for a fairer and more inclusive society by working at a policy level with Government, employers and others
- Piece in The Economist - "In Britain, criminal records dog offenders for decades" Posted on: Feb 17th, 2017
Today the Economist has published an excellent piece, making the…
- 'Criminal record disclosure' training -19th April - Book early to avoid disappointment! Posted on: Feb 9th, 2017
Our popular 'criminal record disclosure' training workshops…
- Unlocking the potential of the UK’s ex-offenders Posted on: Feb 7th, 2017
An article published by Nat West suggests that one remedy to…
- Unlock welcomes new official open recruitment employer guide Posted on: Feb 7th, 2017
Published by the Department for Work and Pensions in partnership with…
- Unlock responds to Law Commission review of DBS filtering system - "is a damning indictment....a wider review is needed now more than ever" Posted on: Feb 1st, 2017
In a detailed report published today, the Law Commission has…