This page highlights some of the case studies and success stories that have come about as a result of our:
- Support for individuals
- Policy & campaign work
- Support for practitioners
- Work with employers
- Work with other organisations
We also feature personal success stories as part of our online magazine, theRecord.
1. Case studies and success stories – Our support for individuals
Through providing direct and online information, advice and support, we help people to move on positively in their lives.
A selection of stories involving people that we’ve helped can be found below. For the latest stories relating to our support, click here.
Fraser – The confidence to work in the NHS (Helpline)
Ivan – Needing some support (Helpline)
Benny – Success with the Scouts (Helpline)
Lee – Negotiating disclosure with the police (Helpline)
Mia – Travel abroad whilst on licence (Helpline)
Connor – Finally accepted into university (Helpline)
Adam – Adopting children with old convictions (Case work)
2. Case studies – Our policy & campaign work
Through our policy and campaign work, the changes that we achieve help to improve the life chances of people with convictions.
Examples of our policy & campaign work can be found below.
- ROA reforms of 2014 – Comments from some that benefited
- Unlock complaint leads to ruling that the Disclosure and Barring Service breached the Data Protection Act
3. Case studies and success stories – Our support for practitioners
A selection of stories involved practitioners that we’ve helped can be found below. For the latest success stories relating to our support for practitioners, click here.
- Michael – The benefits of training
- David – “As an ex-offender, I thought I had a good grasp”
- Ixion – Working with Unlock to train NOMS CFO Case Managers
4. Case studies and success stories – Our work with employers
Through working with employers, we help them to employ people with convictions and deal with criminal records fairly.
5. Case studies and success stories – Our work with other organisations
Through working with other organisations, we help to make sure that they treat people with convictions fairly. We often do this as part of our casework where in addition to any help we can provide the individual, there are changes needed to in the policies or practices of the organisation.
A selection of case studies are below and you can also see the latest ones.
- Helping an insurance broker update their guidance for people with convictions
- Insurance comparison sites must ensure that the questions they ask are relevant and only related to the people on the insurance policy
- Insurance brokers must ensure that any guidance they use to assist their customers is clear and does not provide misleading advice or information
- Misleading question on television production company application form
- Your finances in and out of prison - BBC Radio 4 Money Box live Posted on: Mar 16th, 2017
Around 50% of offenders re-offend within a year. Lack of money for…
- Watch our oral evidence to the Justice Committee inquiry into the disclosure of youth criminal records Posted on: Mar 15th, 2017
Earlier today our co-director, Christopher Stacey, gave evidence to…
- Has an employer wrongly checked your official criminal record? Get in touch Posted on: Mar 6th, 2017
As part of our Fair Access to Employment project we’re looking for…
- Should employers ask about convictions on their application forms? Unlock discusses with Three Counties Radio Posted on: Mar 6th, 2017
Christopher Stacey talks to Three Counties Radio on whether…
- Monthly update - February 2017 Posted on: Feb 28th, 2017
We've just published our update for February…